This is an op-ed written by members of the Tompkins County Democratic Committee. It was not written by The Ithaca Voice. to submit op-eds, send them to Matt Butler at firstname.lastname@example.org.
As members of the Tompkins County Democratic Committee we ask you to join us in voting for Lea Webb— an experienced and dedicated public servant— to represent our community in the NY State Senate.
Like many of our friends and neighbors, we are still reeling from the recent Supreme Court decision overturning Roe v. Wade. It is critical that we send a strong advocate to Albany to fight for our reproductive rights. Lea Webb is the only candidate in this race who was endorsed by Planned Parenthood and Eleanor’s Legacy, the leading organizations advocating for reproductive justice in New York. Lea will take this fight to Albany and ensure that New York continues to stand strong as a sanctuary for abortion rights.
Lea’s campaign has earned the support of many of our leaders here in Tompkins County (full list). Her endorsement by our Assemblymember, Dr. Anna Kelles, signals that they will be strong partners in the state legislature to support our regions’ interests. This strong showing of community support is impressive for a candidate from our neighboring county, but will come as no surprise to anyone here in Ithaca who has worked with Lea in local government or in her advocacy work over the years.
Lea is the only candidate in this race with legislative experience. In her eight years on city council, Lea stood up to the fossil-fuel industry to ban fracking, fought alongside transit workers to preserve their jobs and essential bus routes, strengthened laws to hold absentee landlords accountable, turned vacant properties into urban gardens, helped secure funding for affordable housing, worked with the City Planners to develop a national award-winning Climate Action Plan after the city flooded in 2011 and worked with non-profit partners and the NAACP to develop a job training program for youth.
Lea has a proven track record of winning tough elections. During her two terms on Binghamton City Council, she won a tough primary against the Democratic City Council President, and general election races against an Independent and a Republican to be the first ever Black person serving Broome County.
Lea shares our commitment to protecting reproductive rights and ensuring affordable health care for all. She will continue to prioritize environmental justice, affordable housing, supporting small farmers, and bringing well-paying jobs to our region. We urge you to join us in voting for Lea Webb for NY State Senate in the Democratic primary on August 23rd.
- Stacey Dimas, First Vice-Chair, Tompkins County Democratic Committee and Chair, TCDC Political Action Committee
- Ed Swayze, Chair, City of Ithaca Democratic Committee
- Susie Monagan, Chair, City of Ithaca Second Ward Democratic Committee
- Kalena Yearwood, Chair, City of Ithaca Fifth Ward Democratic Committee
- Hallie E. Mitnick, Esq., Vice-Chair, City of Ithaca Second Ward Democratic Committee
- Emily Adams, Chair, Town of Caroline Democratic Committee
- Joseph M. Wilson, Co-Chair, Town of Dryden Democratic Committee
- Dr. Ammitai Worob, Chair, Town of Ithaca Democratic Committee
- Irene Stein, Former Chair, Tompkins County Democratic Committee and Town of Ithaca Democratic Committee
- Martha Robertson, Former Tompkins County Legislator and Town of Dryden Democratic Committee
- Alderperson Ducson Nguyen, City of Ithaca Second Ward Democratic Committee
- Dan Lamb, Deputy Supervisor, Dryden Town Board and Town of Dryden Democratic Committee
- Alderperson Robert Gesualdo Cantelmo, City of Ithaca Fifth Ward Democratic Committee
- Tim Murray, Deputy Supervisor, Caroline Town Council and Town of Caroline Democratic Committee
- Alderperson Jorge Defendini, City of Ithaca Fourth Ward Democratic Committee
- Anne Koreman, Tompkins County Legislator and Town of Ulysses Democratic Committee
- Jennifer Lyons, PhD, City of Ithaca Fifth Ward Democratic Committee
- Jordan Lesser, Town of Ithaca Democratic Committee
- Katy Nicholson, City of Ithaca Fifth Ward Democratic Committee
- Sara Hess, City of Ithaca First Ward Democratic Committee
- Ariel Casper, City of Ithaca Fifth Ward Democratic Committee
- Krys Cail, Town of Ulysses Democratic Committee
- Javed Jokhai, President of the Cornell Democrats and Member City of Ithaca Fifth Ward Democratic Committee
- Aryeal Jackson, City of Ithaca Fifth Ward Democratic Committee
- Greg Mezey, Tompkins County Legislator and Town of Dryden Democratic Committee
- Patrick Moylan, City of Ithaca Fifth Ward Democratic Committee
- Jack Waxman, Vice-President of the Cornell Democrats and Member City of Ithaca Fifth Ward Democratic Committee