TOMPKINS COUNTY, N.Y.—On Wednesday, April 27, the New York State Court of Appeals issued a ruling to ignore the recently redrawn Congressional and state Senate district lines, turning the previous NY-23 district into NY-22.

The candidates who have petitioned their campaigns to make the ballot for the (originally scheduled) June primary have responded to this decision by staying fast in their desires to serve their constituents, regardless of who may fall into that category with new lines when they are drawn.

Josh Riley, who was the subject of a lawsuit alleging fraud earlier this week, responded to the Court of Appeals’ decision stating that he’s been overwhelmed by the support his campaign has received since launching it in November 2021.

“In my conversations across the region, one thing has become even more clear to me: Upstate New York is facing big challenges, but also big opportunities, and we need proven, experienced leadership in Congress to meet the moment,” he said. “Upstate New Yorkers have every reason to be hopeful about our future — if only we can come together to seize it. As the courts redraw the district lines, our campaign will continue to press forward, and I’m looking forward to the next chapter of our campaign.”

Francis Conole also announced that he will continue to run in the district that Onondaga County falls in. “The court’s decision to redraw the Congressional maps adds a new challenge but the new district will almost certainly be anchored in Syracuse and Onondaga country, a place my family has called home for generations.”

Similarly, Sarah Klee Hood tweeted that she’s in it for the “long haul” and will continue to run in whatever district Onondaga County is placed in.

Vanessa Fajans-Turner issued a statement saying that despite the upended process resulting from the court decision, she’s committed to addressing climate change, Medicare for all, protecting voting rights and strengthening the economy. 

“While we wait for new district lines, my campaign team and I are hyper-focused on providing this kind of progressive leadership by registering voters throughout this region, sharing new election deadlines with every eligible voter, and strengthening the outlook for all Democrats this election cycle,” she said.

Mike Sigler is also staying the course, saying that he is as committed now as ever. “I wouldn’t be in the race if I didn’t believe I was the best person for what will still likely be the bluest district currently held by a Republican,” he said. “This again shows democratic leadership has lost the ability to govern. It was plain to so  many that this was unconstitutional, but like bail reform and inflation, democratic leaders refused to see the obvious.”

Brandon Williams said that he will continue to run regardless of where new district lines fall. “My campaign is ready to represent CNY with honor. Our energy continues to grow as we get ready to win back the House this November.”

Official statements have yet to be made regarding the campaigns of Sam Roberts and Chol Majok and how they plan to proceed.

Zoë Freer-Hessler

Zoë Freer-Hessler is a general assignment reporter for the Ithaca Voice. She has covered a wide range of topics since joining the news organization in November 2021. She can be reached at zhessler@ithacavoice.com...