ITHACA, N.Y.—The Ithaca Fire Department responded and extinguished a fire on South Albany Street in the City of Ithaca on Wednesday afternoon.

The fire was reported via 911 call around 1:45 p.m. on Sept. 29. When firefighters arrived, they found smoke coming from the house, though all the house’s occupants were outside and safe.

The fire crews made their way downstairs and “located a clothes dryer on fire in the basement and the house filled with smoke and carbon monoxide.” Subsequently, firefighters put out the fire and ventilated the house. There was little damage to the rest of the house, beyond the dryer.

“As Fire Prevention Week approaches, the Ithaca Fire Department would like to remind everyone of the importance of cleaning your dryer lint trap and vent/ductwork and maintaining your smoke detectors,” the fire department stated. “Always know two ways out and practice fire safety all year long.”

Matt Butler

Matt Butler is the Education & Public Health Reporter at the Ithaca Voice. He can be reached by email at mbutler@ithacavoice.com