ITHACA, N.Y.—The Ithaca Fire Department responded to a house fire Wednesday night on Valley View Road in the Town of Ithaca.
The fire was reported to Tompkins County Dispatch around 7:05 p.m by a neighbor who saw flames from a house across the street.
Firefighters were already at another fire but pivoted to the Valley View Road blaze and searched for people inside once arriving.
“Luckily, the homeowner had made it out and was with neighbors,” stated a Facebook post. The homeowner did sustain minor burns and smoke inhalation and was treated on the scene.
The house suffered “major damage,” though the fire was brought under control in about a half-hour after firefighters responded. NYSEG and the Town of Ithaca Codes Department was on-scene.
“The Ithaca Fire Department credits the alert neighbor for quickly calling 911 and giving good clear information,” said the fire department’s Facebook post. “IFD reminds everyone to always have working Smoke and Carbon Monoxide detectors in your homes.”