Courtesy of Trumansburg Volunteer Fire Company

ULYSSES, N.Y. –– The Trumansburg Fire Department were able to put out a house fire in its early stages Monday morning in the Town of Ulysses.

Firefighters were called to a residence on Falls Road Monday for a fire in a second floor wall. Crews on scene found a fire in the corner of a second story room, and were able to knock down the fire with a water can extinguisher.

There were no injuries during the incident and the resident of the home was not inside when firefighters arrived on scene –– they exited the building when smoke detectors went off.

Enfield Fire Department, Mecklenburg Fire Department and Trumansburg Ambulance also responded for additional assistance.

In a press release TFD credits the resident for shutting the door behind him as he left the room, which helped slow the spread of fire, and stressed the importance of having working smoke detectors throughout every residence.

“Properly functioning smoke detectors give residents enough time to escape a dangerous situation and can provide valuable time to help save lives and property,” according to the release.

Anna Lamb

Anna Lamb is a reporter for the Ithaca Voice. Questions? Story tips? Contact her at alamb@ithacavoice.com