TOMPKINS COUNTY, N.Y. –– The Tompkins County Area Transit fall schedule is set to begin at the end of August with significant route changes and added service for the new academic year.
Riders can also expect to see a new emphasis on passenger safety protocols as TCAT looks to increase their bus capacity with the return of Cornell students to campus including rigorous cleaning, social distancing and mask enforcement. TCAT is raising the maximum number of riders per bus to 25, and providing back-up buses for each route whenever possible to handle overflow.
Also of note, TCAT will begin collecting fares starting Sunday, Sept. 6 as safety shields will be installed to separate riders from drivers who sit next to the farebox.
Read the new route updates for the fall below:
- Tconnect update: Due to pandemic-related ridership changes, TCAT is holding off on plans for an on-demand, app-based Tconnect weekday service in Dryden. Instead, TCAT starting Sun., Aug. 30, will pilot a smaller version Tconnect 77 in the Lansing/Etna area on weekends in place of routes 74 and 77. (Please note: route 40 serves Groton Mon. through Sun.)
- Route 10: downtown-to-Cornell campus service will resume.
- Route 13: has been reconfigured with a separate route 13S to serve Aldi, Purity Ice Cream and GreenStar Co-Op’s new location on Cascadilla Street.
- Route 15: has been changed to curb the potential for crowding the southwest shopper has added trips to offer some direct service from downtown to southwest shopping centers, while other trips will continue to serve Titus Towers.
- Rural routes to include 20, 21, 37, 40, 52, 65, and 67 will serve West Campus at Stewart Ave. @ University Ave. in the uphill direction and at Baker Flagpole in the downhill direction. This will provide service to West Campus students traveling to and from Central Campus and Tower Road.
- Route 75: will not resume.
- Route 81: started early on Mon., Aug. 17, and serves A-Lot traveling southbound and B-Lot traveling northbound.
- Route 82: will serve Maplewood Avenue; East Hill Plaza, East Hill Office Building and Tower Road.
- Routes 83: will not resume.
- Route 84: is a new15-minute service between Cornell and Collegetown. This new route will serve the Breazzano Center at Dryden @ Linden.
- Route 90: will offer nightly service every 40 minutes from North Campus, East Avenue, Collegetown, Mitchell Street and East State Street/Martin Luther King Jr. Street to the Commons.
- Routes 92: every 40 minutes will serve North Campus; West Campus; Collegetown; Dryden Road; Maple Avenue; Pine Tree Road; and Tower Road. Route 92 will also operate all day on weekends. (8:40 a.m. to midnight on Saturdays; and 8:40 a. m. to 10:40 p.m. on Sundays.)
- Route 93: every 45 minutes will stop at Sage Hall, Collegetown, Dryden Road, the East Hill Office Building, Honness Lane and Eastern Heights. Both routes will end weeknight service by midnight and slightly earlier on Sundays.
TCAT no longer prints service guides for mass distribution but links to all fall 2020 schedules and maps are now available for download on their website.
Riders who need printed schedules can call TCAT at (607) 277-RIDE (7433), email staff at email@example.com or mail a request to TCAT, 737 Willow Ave., Ithaca, NY, 14850, marked “schedule request” with a return mailing address.