ITHACA, N.Y. –– The fifth annual Wizarding Weekend is just days away. It will kick off Saturday, Oct. 26, in Downtown Ithaca with games and activities for all ages.
The festival needs all types of volunteers, from set-up and break-down crews to people who can help with organization and admissions. The festival has continued to grow and evolve over the years –– at its peak seeing over 20,000 guests — and volunteers are a key reason the festival runs smoothly behind the scenes.
The organizers are calling volunteers the “Legion of Time” and their duties are as follows:
- Advance Builders – Help build and set-up booths, sets, activities, etc.**
- Captains – Supervise volunteers, check in vendors, and answer questions within a specific section of the event*
- Ghosts – Anything from running errands for staff to checking in volunteers to emptying trash
- Sentries – Assist pedestrians crossing at intersections, ensuring that attendees who enter event have valid wristbands and answer questions
- Jesters – Attend and run a game or craft booth*
- Sages – sell admission passes, magical passports and event tickets, give out maps and directions to attendees, help with attendee questions*
- Pillars – Assist entertainers and/or vendors with load in and load out
- Vanquishers – Assist with setting up/taking down tents, tables, chairs, equipment, games, etc. (must be able to life 20 lbs)
- Visionaries – Assist with development and implementation of activities including Potions Crawl, Scavenger Hunt, On-site decorations, and more.**
- Vulcans – Assist staff with organizing various tasks and show logistics**
(*) Mandatory training session required before the event.
(**) Meetings in advance of event required.
To sign up to volunteer you can fill out the form on the Wizarding Weekend website and they will contact you with your assignment. The festival notes that while you may volunteer in a costume, they are not specifically looking for costumed volunteers or cosplayers. All persons under 18 years of age must volunteer with, or have permission to volunteer from a parent or legal guardian.
Volunteers who work four or more hours will receive a free magical passport to the festival. The magical passports include the Magical Creature Hunt, Potions Crawl, a Wizarding Weekend Reusable Bag, Wizarding Weekend Key Chain, and free access to all pay per play games and craft activities.
For guests, the magical passport is $25 and can be purchased here.
Want to learn more about this year’s festival? See The Ithaca Voice’s previous coverage here.
Featured image: File photo by Kelsey O’Connor