(UPDATE 4 p.m. Thursday) — There are no updates to report as of 4 p.m. Thursday. Acting Chief Dennis Nayor said by email that police are currently “following up on leads and pursuing various investigative avenues.” Police are asking that if any member of the public heard, saw, or captured any evidence of the incident on a cellphone camera, to contact IPD. Information can be kept confidential.

ITHACA, N.Y. — The investigation continues after a man was shot Wednesday morning on East Green Street. Police have one man in custody who has been charged with criminal possession of a firearm and tampering with evidence, but another man wanted in connection with the crime is still at large.

The Ithaca Police Department gave an update on the investigation at 4 p.m. Wednesday outside Ithaca City Hall.

Acting Police Chief Dennis Nayor said police received multiple reports of shots fired at 9:44 a.m. Wednesday. Within a few minutes, officers were on the scene and found a man who had been shot multiple times by the Green Street Parking Garage. Officers administered First Aid until Bangs Ambulance personnel arrived on scene to stabilize the man and transport him to Cayuga Medical Center. He was later transported to a regional trauma center.

A live stream of the full press conference is below. The article continues after the video.

The man who was shot has been identified as 30-year-old Shane Lott, of Rochester. In an earlier interview, Deputy Chief Vincent Monticello said Lott was communicating with officers when they arrived at the scene. At the press conference, Nayor said he did not have much information on the man’s current condition but said he has gone through surgery and is in the Intensive Care Unit.

Not long after the shooting Wednesday morning, police said they had a man in custody, identified as Woodrow Turner, 38, of Ithaca. But as the investigation developed, police said another man believed to be the shooter was still being sought by police. Through the investigation so far, Nayor said police recovered a .357 caliber revolver and found about five shots were fired off, evidenced by five spent shell casings found. Police said Turner is not believed to be the shooter, but possessed the firearm found. Nayor said Turner was found trying to dispose of the gun.

Turner has been charged with second-degree criminal possession of a weapon and tampering with evidence.

Ithaca Police have been assisted by the Tompkins County Sheriff’s Office, New York State Police and FBI so far Wednesday. Police were investigating multiple scenes during the day, including East Green Street where the shooting occurred, another location where the person with the firearm was located, and another location where the man tried to dispose of the firearm.

Ithaca Police investigate the scene of a shooting Wednesday, Sept. 4. (Kelsey O’Connor/The Ithaca Voice)
Ithaca Police investigate the scene of a shooting Wednesday, Sept. 4. (Kelsey O’Connor/The Ithaca Voice)

“We’re processing multiple scenes, dealing with identifying a suspect, a victim. At the time of this, we had witnesses we had to identify who were ready to board a bus to New York City. So we had the complexity of making sure we were able to identify people’s information, who they were, get statements before they’d left the area and we’d lose out on very pertinent information,” Nayor said. He credited IPD, the sheriff’s office and other agencies who have worked together Wednesday to investigate the case.

Police are actively searching for the shooting suspect, who police have identified as Andrae G. Martin, of Ithaca. He reportedly fled on bicycle after the incident. Martin is described as a black man of average build, 33 years old, and between 5 feet 10 inches and 6 feet tall. Police are expected to release a photo of Martin soon. This story will be updated when more information on the suspect is available.

“We’re still attempting to locate him but we have some pretty solid information that we’re working right now,” Lt. John Joly said at the news conference.

Andrae Martin. (Photos provided by IPD)

At this point, information is still limited. “It is an active investigation. It’s fluid,” Nayor said.

Deputy Chief Vincent Monticello said he heard the gunshots from his office at the Ithaca Police Department a block away. At the scene early Wednesday, a couple of witnesses who were waiting for a bus Wednesday morning said they heard one shot followed by more gunshots and saw someone fall by the parking garage.

(Kelsey O’Connor/The Ithaca Voice)
(Kelsey O’Connor/The Ithaca Voice)

Mayor Svante Myrick credited police officers Wednesday for their quick action and professionalism, canvassing witnesses, getting control of the scene, and administering First Aid to the victim. He said incidents of violence in the city like this are “so troubling because they are so rare.” He said this was

“Incidents of violence like this in our city are so troubling in part because they are so rare – 9:30 on a Wednesday morning right in the heart of our downtown, the place where I live and work, the people I care about live and work. So many offices, so many stores, so many apartments nearby, it’s a real wake-up call and I think we should, all of us, be asking ourselves what we can do to prevent violence in this community,” Myrick said.

Myrick posted a statement on Facebook saying it’s natural in the wake of a violent incident to ask how it could have been avoided. In addition to several options, he said locally he has spoken with Nayor and District Attorney Matthew Van Houten who have pledged resources to a “Violence Prevention Task Force.

At about 4:30 p.m., the Green Street Parking Garage reopened, according to a Swift911 alert.

Earlier coverage–

UPDATE (11:20 a.m.) — This story has been updated with additional information from IPD. One suspect is in custody, and one is at large, according to police.

ITHACA, N.Y. — Ithaca Police are investigating a shooting that occurred Wednesday morning on East Green Street in Downtown Ithaca. One person was shot and transferred to a trauma center. Police have one person in custody, but another person remains at large, police said in an update at about 11:15 a.m. Wednesday.

The shooting appears to have taken place near the entrance of the Green Street Garage at about 9:45 a.m. Wednesday. Police on the scene, as of 10:30 a.m., had the area blocked off with yellow tape and the road is reduced to one lane. Investigators were interviewing witnesses on the scene.

Initially, police reported that one person was in custody and cooperating with police. Then in an update at about 11:15 a.m., Deputy Chief Vincent Monticello said there is an additional person at large wanted by police. The man was seen fleeing the scene and wearing a black hoodie, police said. No other information is available yet.

The person who was shot is a man in his mid-30s, police said. He was transferred to a local hospital, then a trauma center for his injuries. Monticello said he was talking to police when they arrived, but he had no other update on his condition.

The incident occurred across from the intercity bus station where several people were waiting for a bus. A couple of witnesses on the scene said at about 9:45 a.m., they heard one shot, followed by more shots go off and they saw someone fall by the parking garage. They said people waiting for the bus took cover and starting running after people realized they were gunshots.

Acting Chief Dennis Nayor said at the scene at about 10:30 a.m. that one person was shot. “We are just trying to positively identify the shooter,” Nayor said. He said right now police are trying to piece everything together and gather statements from witnesses. He said they are trying to put all the facts together before releasing more information.

During the police activity, TCAT service was suspended on East Green Street. However, it was back to servicing the Green Street at 11 a.m., according to a news release. The Green Street Parking Garage is closed until further notice due to the investigation.

In addition to Ithaca Police, the Tompkins County Sheriff’s Office and New York State Police are assisting with the investigation.

Vaughn Golden contributed to this report.

CORRECTION: An earlier version of this article stated the suspect’s name is Andrew Martin. It is Andrae G. Martin.

Kelsey O'Connor

Kelsey O'Connor is the managing editor for the Ithaca Voice. Questions? Story tips? Contact her at koconnor@ithacavoice.com and follow her on Twitter @bykelseyoconnor.