The Ithaca Voice is looking to hire a full-time reporter who wants to comprehensively cover local news in Ithaca and Tompkins County to fill an upcoming vacancy.
We are hiring a reporter who can bring a fresh perspective to our team, along with a strong work ethic and commitment to free, local journalism. A self-motivated, curious reporter with a knack for finding the news first is essential to our organization. We’re looking to hire someone who aspires to advance in the organization and plans to stay in Ithaca or Tompkins County long term.
You can learn more about our organization, values and team here.
What we’re looking for:
We are looking to hire a reporter with a traditional reporting skill set, who is knowledgeable of AP style, dedicated to accurate and timely reporting, has knowledge of and genuine interest in the Ithaca and Tompkins County community and:
- Can write daily news stories on a range of subject areas including crime, courts and criminal justice to local government, and features.
- Is comfortable taking and editing photos for stories.
- Can publish and format stories on WordPress or similar publishing systems as well as different social media channels (Instagram, Facebook, Twitter). Being web-savvy is a plus, as The Ithaca Voice is an online-only publication.
- Can generate story ideas for daily stories as well as long-form features and investigative stories.
- Can sometimes work evenings/odd hours to cover local meetings and events.
- Can produce data-driven stories and is comfortable covering stories involving budgets and other quantitative datasets. Experience with data visualization software is a plus.
- Lives in Tompkins County.
Experience in journalism, particularly as a news reporter, is required. A bachelor’s degree in journalism or a related field is preferred, but not required.
This position has the potential to advance into an editorial role, so some editing experience is preferred. Some supervisory or management experience would also be desirable.
Submit the following information to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Cover letter
- Three samples of prior published written work
The Ithaca Voice is committed to diversity and strongly encourages applications from women, people of color, LGBTQ people and people with disabilities.
You can also find the job listing on Indeed. No calls, please.