Sunrise Movement Ithaca is hosting a Green New Deal Town Hall 7 p.m. Thursday, May 2 at the Tompkins County Public Library. This is a round-table conversation with panelists from our local community to have a directed conversation and critique of the federal resolution, the Green New Deal.
How can the GND work for your line of work? How does it not? What kind of support can we rally in Tompkins County? What questions need to be answered for you?
We will have keynote speakers, a mediated round-table discussion, a special video, and Q&A. We want to fill up the room!
Our vision for the town hall:
- Community sustainability video
- Young Sunrisers give introduction to the Green New Deal
- Round-table guests share climate stories, justice work, how a GND can work for them
- Discussion questions around the table regarding GND
- Closing statement: Jeff Furman
- Sachem Sam George – Chief of the Cayuga Nation
- Joe Cruz – Student, Ithaca College, MRC
- Alex Hyland – Electrician, Intl. Brotherhood of Electrical Workers
- Magda Kossowska – Student, Ithaca High School
- Barbara Lifton – NYS Assemblywoman, district 125
- Rafa Aponte – Farmer: Rocky Acres Farm, director of Youth Farm Project
- Sandra Steingraber – Founder of New Yorkers Against Fracking, IC
- Jeff Furman – Social justice advocate, Ben & Jerry’s Foundation
- Feel free to also check out our Facebook (Sunrise Ithaca) and Instagram (Sunrise.Ithaca).