ITHACA, N.Y. — Local officials are keeping a close eye on the ice in the creeks Friday, Feb.1, as water has started to breach the Newman Municipal Golf Course, the city said Friday.
The city advises residents in the Fall Creek and Northside areas should begin checking their basements and be prepared to protect their property by the following means:
- Monitoring local weather conditions
- Making sure valuable items are removed from basement floors
- Checking your sump pump regularly. If your sump pump is not operational, consider repairs or replacement.
- Making sure that the discharge from your sump pump is directed away from your home, and into the storm sewer if possible. Care should be taken because the combination of water and severe cold can produce significant ice in the streets and sidewalks.
- Removing ice from the storm sewer in front of your house
- Adhering to the city’s odd/ even parking regulations. This is important to assist DPW efforts to clear streets and drainage structures.
Anyone with questions can contact Julie Conley Holcomb in the department of public information and technology at 607-279-7189.