ITHACA, N.Y. – Still planning a Christmas menu or checking gifts off the list? Holiday markets at Press Bay Alley and the Ithaca Farmers Market this week will offer all the fixings for a feast and handmade crafts for last-minute shoppers.
The Press Bay Holiday Market will run from 4:30 to 7:30 p.m. Thursday, Dec. 20, with more than 25 vendors. Stock up on locally sourced staples like vegetables and poultry, or liven up the feast with specialty goods from “wine flour” to kimchi. Sweets from goat milk fudge to homemade marshmallows will be for sale, and beer and cider will be available from multiple vendors.
In addition to food, the market will feature local gifts like skincare products, knitwear, sheepskins, and jams. The shops at Press Bay Alley will remain open during the market too, including Press Cafe, Bramble, and Amuse: Modern Cottage Industry.
From 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 22, the Ithaca Farmers Market pavilion will be open for the last outdoor market of the year. The holiday market will feature a spread of foods and crafts, as well as live entertainment: the 21st Annual Rutabaga Curl. While root vegetable Olympians hurl their ‘bagas toward the bullseye, onlookers can browse booths of local wares or enjoy hot food and drinks from the market’s regular vendors.
Here’s a complete list of confirmed vendors for the Press Bay Market:
- Bespoke Apothecary at Dead Dog Farm: Skin care, tinctures, medicinals
- Bottomland Farm: Rabbit, pork, chicken, duck, chicken eggs, duck eggs, winter squash
- Bright Raven Farm & Apiary: Honey and honeycomb, jam
- Cayuta Sun Farm: Pastured pork & poultry [online preorder form: https://squareup.com/store/cayuta-sun-farm/ ]
- Crosswinds Farm & Creamery: Cheese, beef, pork, veal, eggs, possibly truffles
- Finger Lakes Wine Flour: Wine flour, wine flour xmas cards, wine flour pasta, crackers, cookies and cupcakes, gift bags
- Forget Me Not Farm: Pastured pork, lamb sausages, potatoes, garlic, sunchokes
- Good Life Farm / Kite & String Cider: Distribution of pasture-raised turkeys, hard cider, ginger beer, switchel. NOTE: Good Life is taking orders in advance for their turkeys (the best way to guarantee getting one!) but will also have them for sale at the market.
- Gorges Confections: Homemade marshmallows, cookies
- Hemlock Grove Farm: Organic apples, fresh sweet cider (non-alcoholic), possibly organic chestnuts
- Heritage Haus Farm: Goat milk fudge, turkey, pork, gluten free baked goods
- Hi-Bar Gourmet Chocolate: Dark chocolate bar
- Ithaca Honey Works: Honey
- Laughing Goat Fiber: Mittens, gloves, socks, hats, ornaments, made with farm grown fiber
- Liquid State Brewing Company: Beer in one or more of: 16 oz cans, 750ml bottles, 32 oz Crowlers
- MacDonald Farms: Naturally fermented pickles, krauts, kimchis, fermented veggies, mustard, vinegar etc.
- Mama Said Hand Pies: Frozen savory & sweet hand pies, hot pies for eating immediately!
- Nook & Cranny Farm: Fall vegetables- greens / roots / brussels srouts
- Park Hill Poultry: Fresh heritage-breed turkeys NOTE: Park Hill is taking orders in advance for their turkeys (the best way to guarantee getting one!) but will also have them for sale at the market.
- South Hill Cider: Hard cider
- Stick and Stone Farm: Apples, kale, collards, roots, brussels sprouts, radicchios and chicories, winter squash, napa cabbage, shallots
- Villa Vico Farms: Chestnuts roasted and/or fresh
- Wellspring Forest Farm: Dried shiitake, inoculated logs, elderberry extract, maple syrup, lamb cuts
- Wide Awake Bakery: Breads, holiday thingies, cookies, pastry, pasta, granola, etc.
- Windsong Farm: Lamb, beef, duck, jam, winter squash
- Windswept Farm: Lamb, duck, tanned sheepskins/pelts
- Youth Farm Project: Vegetables, onions, potatoes, garlic, kale, brussels sprouts, winter squash, herbs (fresh and dried), pasture raised chicken, jam
For more information about the Press Bay Holiday Market, contact Matt LeRoux at the Cornell Cooperative Extension – Tompkins (607-272-2292).
Questions about the Holiday Market at the Ithaca Farmers Market can be directed to their main office (607-273-7109).
Featured image: Press Bay Alley market 2016 (Kelsey O’Connor/Ithaca Voice.