TOMPKINS COUNTY, N.Y. — The American Red Cross is hosting blood drives locally throughout December to help with a severe blood shortage during the holiday season.
The Red Cross is urging donors of all blood types to donate now to keep the blood supply steady during the holidays. The Red Cross said blood donations often decline between Thanksgiving and New Year’s.
Frances Hernandez, with the American Red Cross, said they only have about a three-day supply of blood prepared for hospitals in need. Due to the shortage, the American Red Cross has blood drives set up throughout December.
For more information about donating, call 1-800-RED CROSS or visit redcrossblood.org.
The following blood drives are planned locally:
- 12/5 Homewood Suites 11-3 p.m.
- 12/5 Tompkins Cortland Community College 9:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
- 12/7 Cayuga Medical Center 10-3 p.m.
- 12/8 Church of Latter-day Saints 8 a.m. to noon
- 12/13 Tompkins County Library 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- 12/15 Community Church of Groton 8 a.m. to noon
- 12/15 Arthur E Bouton Post 770 7:30-11:30 a.m.
- 12/18 Dryden Veterans Home 1-6 p.m.
- 12/19 Claritas 10-3 p.m.
- 12/20 Fraternal Order of Eagles 11-4 p.m.
- 12/20 Tabernacle Baptist Church 11-5 p.m.
- 12/21 Clarion Inn 11-5 p.m.
- 12/21 Hilton Garden Inn 8 a.m. to noon
- 12/21 Shops at Ithaca Mall 1-6 p.m.
- 12/22 Clarion Inn 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- 12/24 Brooktondale FD noon to 5 p.m.
- 12/24 Oasis Christian Fellowship noon to 5 p.m.
- 12/27 Ithaca Veterans Firemans Assoc. 1-6 p.m.
- 12/28 Beechtree Rehabilitation Center 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- 12/29 Dryden Fire Dept. 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.