ITHACA, N.Y. — The 100 block of South Aurora Street —between East State and Hudson streets —will be closed to all traffic, including TCAT buses, all day Wednesday, Dec. 12. People who typically use that route should plan ahead.
The section of road will be closed due to crane and construction vehicles taking up all lanes of the 100 block to install rooftop units at the Rothchild’s Building, the city said. It is estimated to be closed from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. Wednesday. Pedestrians will have access through a narrow path on the east side of the street.
The closure will impact two Tompkins Consolidated Area Transit bus routes, Route 11 and Route 65. Bus riders on these routes should note the following changes:
- Route 11 Outbound: will not serve Green St. Station or Aurora St. bus stops. Outbound passengers should use Seneca St. Station, which departs :27 and :57 minutes after the hour and will continue on detoured route to Geneva St.; Clinton St.; Prospect St.; then back on normal route to Aurora St./96B.
- Route 11 Inbound: will not serve Seneca St. Station bus stop. Instead, route will end as usual at Green St. Station (from Geneva St. detoured route), where it then interlines with (changes into) either Routes 14 or 51.
- Route 11 both directions: will not serve Hudson @ Columbia stop, which is to be relocated to Hillview Pl.
- Route 65 Outbound: will pick up as usual at 6:33 a.m. from Green St. Station and then detour to Seneca Way; Seneca St., Geneva St., Clinton St., Prospect St. to Aurora St./96B (back on normal route.) THEN: Starting at 7:33 a.m. and for the duration of the detour, Aurora St. stop relocated to Seneca St. Station before traveling from Seneca St. to detoured route via Geneva St.
- Route 65 Inbound: Aurora St. stop relocated to Green St. Station for 7:09 a.m.; 8:09 a.m. and 12:26 p.m. departures to Uris Hall and Boyce Thompson Institute. (Route will detour from Aurora St. /96B to Prospect St., Clinton St., Geneva St., to Green St.)
City officials advise people to avoid the area if possible and recommend the following detours:
- Northbound traffic on South Aurora Street is advised to take Prospect Street to Clinton Street to South Cayuga Street to East Green Street to East State Street to North Aurora Street.
- Westbound traffic on East State Street is advised to take North Aurora Street to East Seneca Street.
- Southbound traffic on North Cayuga Street is advised to take Clinton Street to Prospect Street to South Aurora Street.
- Eastbound traffic should take East Green Street to East State Street and avoid South Aurora Street. Detour signs and flaggers will direct drivers around the closure.
For additional information contact: Lynne Yost or Kent Johnson, DPW, City Engineer’s Office (607) 274-6530, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com. For bus route information, contact TCAT at (607) 277-7433.