ITHACA, N.Y. — The Ithaca Fire Department is stressing the importance of heating safety and proper ash removal this season and has provided a list of tips to stay safe during the cold months.
“Each year, many fires are started because of malfunction furnaces, dirty chimneys and improperly disposed of ashes” the IFD said in a news release Wednesday.
Below is the list of tips provided by IFD to help keep you and your family safe:
- Have your furnace and heating system inspected by a professional.
- Clean the ashes from your stove or fireplace on a regular basis and place them in a metal container with a metal lid.
- Never place ashes in bags or any other combustible container.
- Never place ashes near your home, deck or combustible vegetation.
- Never place ashes in your trash.
- Have a certified Chimney Sweep inspect your chimney annually and clean and repair it whenever needed.
- As always, have working smoke and Carbon Monoxide detectors in your home.