ITHACA, N.Y. — A woman was injured after a dryer caught fire Thursday night in a house on Cliff Street in Ithaca.

Firefighters from the Ithaca Fire Department arrived shortly after 8:20 a.m. p.m. and saw gray smoke coming from the front of the 604 Cliff St. Crews went inside and found the fire had already been extinguished by an occupant and her neighbor. The house was full of thick smoke and high levels of carbon monoxide.

The occupant sustained minor burns fighting the fire and was evaluated by Bangs Ambulance on the scene. The Ithaca Police Department also responded.

The IFD had three safety messages for local residents following the fire Thursday: clean your dryer lint trap, maintain your smoke detectors and don’t try to fight a fire yourself.

“The Ithaca Fire Department would like to remind everyone of the importance of cleaning your dryer lint trap and maintaining your smoke detectors. Most importantly, do not try to fight a fire yourself, if it has grown large in size or delays your escape to a safe place,” the IFD said in a news release.

Kelsey O'Connor

Kelsey O'Connor is the managing editor for the Ithaca Voice. Questions? Story tips? Contact her at koconnor@ithacavoice.com and follow her on Twitter @bykelseyoconnor.