ITHACA, N.Y. — The jury has found Jeffrey Horton guilty of charges including rape, burglary and stalking.

Horton was led out of the courtroom Friday morning in handcuffs and remanded to Tompkins County Jail until sentencing in a few weeks.

Horton had previously been on trial for the same charges, but the verdict was overturned due to an issue with a potential juror. Judge Joseph Cassidy has presided over a retrial that has taken place for more than a week.

After a couple days of jury selection last week, testimony got underway Friday and wrapped up Wednesday. The jury had been deliberating for a little over a day.

Jeffrey Horton Trial: View full Ithaca Voice coverage from the trial here

By returning with a guilty verdict Friday, the jury found Horton guilty of brutally raping and beating a woman in her home in March 2015. The trial came down to credibility of Horton and the victim. Horton had admitted in the previous trial to slapping the victim for 10 to 15 seconds, but denied raping the woman. Instead, Horton said he and the victim had consensual make-up sex after he hit her.

The jury returned guilty verdicts on 10 charges:

  • Burglary in the first degree
  • Rape in the first degree
  • Criminal sex act in the first degree
  • Aggravated sexual abuse in the third degree
  • Sexual abuse in the first degree
  • Assault in the third degree
  • Unlawful imprisonment in the second degree
  • Stalking in the third degree
  • Stalking in the fourth degree
  • Menacing in the third degree

A charge of burglary in the third degree was not considered, since the jury reached a guilty verdict on the more serious charge of burglary in the first degree.

Reacting to the verdict, Assistant District Attorney Diane Lama, who prosecuted the case with Deputy District Attorney Andrew Bonavia, said she wanted to thank the jury, police officers, doctors, nurses and investigators who had all given time and hard work to the case.

“I want to thank the victim for having the courage to come forward, to go through this process not once but twice,” Lama said. “It is a privilege and an honor to get some form of justice for the victim.”

She said she hopes the verdict “brings some level of hope to survivors of domestic violence and sexual assault.”

About 20 spectators, including friends and family of both the victim and defendant, were watching in the gallery when the verdict was read. Tears welled from supporters of each party as Horton was handcuffed.

Defense attorneys Kristine Shaw and Jerome Mayersak declined to comment on the verdict.

A sentencing will be scheduled in four to six weeks, Cassidy said.

Managing Editor Kelsey O’Connor contributed to this report.

Devon Magliozzi

Devon Magliozzi is a reporter for the Ithaca Voice. Questions? Story tips? Contact her at or 607-391-0328.