ITHACA, N.Y. — The Ithaca Voice is an eight-person team striving to comprehensively cover local news throughout Tompkins County. And now, we are looking to hire someone to fill an upcoming vacancy.
We are hiring a contract reporter who can bring a fresh perspective to our team, along with a strong work ethic and community values. A self-motivated, curious reporter with a knack for finding the news first is essential to our organization.
Applicants should be a person who aspires to advance in this organization and stay in the Ithaca area long term. The ideal reporter should have experience generating multiple stories on busy news days and working on longer pieces on slower news days.
- Write daily news stories in all subject areas ranging from crime & courts to government happenings to features.
- Follow-up and pursue major news leads to build long-form pieces.
- Photograph all your own events unless otherwise discussed with an editor. Have basic skills in video work.
- Experience generating numerous stories on busy news days and working on longer pieces on slower news days.
- Have basic knowledge of WordPress (or a similar system) and be able to troubleshoot basic technical issues.
- Must live in or near Tompkins County.
This is not an entry-level position. Experience in journalism, particularly as a hard news reporter, is required. There is no minimum education requirement.
Some supervisory or management experience, as well as proficiency with WordPress and Google applications are preferred.
Submit the following information to Executive Director Renee Captor at firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Cover letter
- Three samples of written work, including at least one long-form piece
- Links to multimedia work (video, audio, data pieces, etc.)
Featured photo: Former Executive Director Mike Blaney and Managing Editor Jolene Almendarez recreate what it was like going live from the at-capacity Ithaca Town Hall last August. Photo by Board Member Michael Perehinec/ The Ithaca Voice