This is a news release from the Ithaca Fire Department. It was NOT written by The Ithaca Voice. 

ITHACA, N.Y. — The Ithaca Fire Department responded to two “Close Call” fires Saturday, and luckily no one was seriously injured.

The first call came into Tompkins County 911 around 3:30 p.m. Saturday reporting a kitchen fire in the 200 block of Tudor Road in the Town of Ithaca.

A resident there said her house was full of smoke and there was a fire on the stove. Ithaca Firefighters arrived to find that the occupant had put out most of the fire and tossed some of the smoldering debris outside. They confirmed everything was out and cleared the home of smoke.

Bangs Ambulance personnel treated the occupant for minor smoke inhalation.

It was determined that some flammable items were left on the stove and when the burner was accidentally turned on, they ignited.

Later Saturday evening, Firefighters were called to the 300 block of Hillview Place for another reported fire. There, hot coals from a BBQ were placed in a plastic garbage can next to the house. The garbage can ignited and melted the siding on the duplex.

Neighbors and the occupant saw the flames and used a fire extinguisher to keep it at bay. Firefighters checked the home for any fire spread or Carbon Monoxide. Ithaca Police and Bangs Ambulance assisted at the scene as well.

The occupant, in this case, had waited 5 hours after the BBQ and the coals were still hot enough to cause the fire.

Both fires were minor but could have been a lot worse. The Ithaca Fire Department continues to remind residents not to place or leave flammable objects on cooktops and to never empty coals or ashes into plastic bags or containers.

Jolene Almendarez

Jolene Almendarez is Managing Editor at The Ithaca Voice. She can be reached at jalmendarez@ithacavoice.com; you can learn more about her at the links in the top right of this box.