ITHACA, N.Y. — Commissioner Samuel D. Roberts visited the Ithaca City School District yesterday to award two teachers with Governor Cuomo’s Empire State Excellence in Teaching Award.
The honorees, DeWitt Middle School technology teacher David Buchner and Ithaca High School math teacher Steve Weissburg, were recognized as teachers who:
- Exemplify the dedication, mission, skill, expertise, and talent of outstanding teachers;
- Inspire and motivate all children and make learning exciting;
- Make a difference in children’s lives;
- Level the playing field and create a climate for learning where every child can succeed;
- Hold high expectations for every student and provide access to higher levels of learning for all learners; and
- Prepare children for a changing economic workforce and a lifelong journey of learning.
Ceremonies were held at DeWitt Middle School and Ithaca High School for Mr. Buchner and Mr. Weissburg, who each received a $5,000 stipend to be used for their continued learning and professional development.
“Governor Cuomo and his team have recognized the outstanding teaching and learning that is happening in the Ithaca City School District,” said ICSD Superintendent Luvelle Brown. “Mr. Buchner and Mr. Weissburg are wonderful examples of teachers who engineer exceptional experiences for students in our learning spaces everyday.”
All photos provided by the Ithaca City School District