This story was originally published at 9:30 a.m. Thursday and updated at 1:15 p.m.
ITHACA, N.Y. — Ithaca firefighters quickly extinguished a house fire Wednesday on South Titus Avenue.
At about 4 p.m. Wednesday, a caller reported smoke and flames coming from under the porch of a house at 115 S. Titus Ave. When crews arrived, flames were coming from the entire back side of the house.
One person was asleep at the time of the fire and woken up by her dog and the downstairs smoke detector. She and the dog got out safely and were not injured. A cat was also rescued from the first floor as firefighters searched the rest of the home.
Crews were able to extinguish the fire in about an hour from the time of the call, the Ithaca Fire Department said.
In an update later Thursday, Lt. Tom Basher of the Ithaca Fire Department said the cause was determined to be “carelessly discarded smoking material.”
Ithaca police and Bangs Ambulance assisted at the scene. Off-duty Ithaca fire personnel covered other calls at Central Fire Station.