ITHACA, N.Y. — Want to join a great team of people looking to make a difference in the community? The Ithaca Voice is looking for someone to join our squad and lead our business mission.
The right applicant should be knowledgeable about the Tompkins County area and have an interest in developing innovative business models that could help non-profit news be successful.
The new director will be a major part of our staff, filling the shoes of Co-founder Mike Blaney, who has worked to make The Ithaca Voice financially thrive since its inception in 2014.
Blaney is leaving The Voice to move to Cincinnati, Ohio to be with his significant other.
He said, “Choosing to leave this place and this organization is one of the hardest decisions I’ve ever made. Ithaca has been my home for nearly a decade now, and I’ve seen The Ithaca Voice grow from two guys in a coffee shop back in 2014, to a full team of amazing journalists today. I’m grateful to know that whoever we hire to take my place will be supported by the best news team around.”
We will be accepting applications for the position until March 16 and the right candidate should be able to start the role by the end of March for some on the job training.
Read the description below and send resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com.
Job Description: Executive Director
The Executive Director is the key management leader of The Ithaca Voice. The Executive Director is responsible for overseeing the administration and strategic planning of the organization, website, and editorial team. Other key duties include fundraising, marketing, and managing delivery of ads/sponsorship messages. The position reports directly to the Board of Directors.
1) Board Governance:
- Works with board of directors in order to fulfill the organization’s mission.
2) Financial Performance and Viability:
- Develops resources sufficient to ensure the financial health of the organization.
- Responsible for fiscal management that generally anticipates operating within the approved budget, ensures maximum resource utilization, and maintenance of the organization in a positive financial position.
- Responsible for developing revenue necessary to support The Ithaca Voice’s mission. This includes in-person and online fundraising efforts, grant-writing, and selling sponsorship/advertising.
3) Organization Mission and Strategy:
- Works with board and staff to ensure that the mission is fulfilled through programs, strategic planning and community outreach.
- Responsible for overseeing the publication of news that adheres to the organization’s mission.
- Responsible for the enhancement of The Ithaca Voice’s image by being active and visible in the community and by working closely with other professional, civic and private organizations.
4) Organization Operations:
- Responsible for effective administration of The Ithaca Voice’s resources and operations.
- Responsible for the hiring and retention of competent, qualified staff.
- Responsible for signing all notes, agreements, and other instruments made and entered into and on behalf of the organization.
- A bachelor’s degree
- Transparent and high integrity leadership
- Solid, hands-on, budget management skills, including budget preparation, analysis, decision-making and reporting
- Strong organizational abilities including planning, delegating, program development and task facilitation
- Ability to convey a vision of The Ithaca Voice’s strategic future to staff, board, volunteers and donors
- Knowledge of fundraising strategies and donor relations unique to nonprofit sector
- Skills to collaborate with and motivate board members and other volunteers
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Ability to interface and engage diverse volunteer and donor groups
- Demonstrated ability to oversee and collaborate with staff
- Strong public speaking ability
- Experience in journalism a plus
About The Ithaca Voice
Founded in 2014, The Ithaca Voice is a non-profit news site dedicated to sustaining free and local journalism to inform and educate the residents of Tompkins County.
The Ithaca Voice follows an equal opportunity employment policy and employs personnel without regard to race, creed, color, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, physical or mental ability, gender expression, veteran status, military obligations, criminal record, immigration status, and marital status.