(This story was originally published Feb. 12 and updated Feb. 23 with more results)
ITHACA, N.Y. — Armed with spoons, hundreds of people filled the Ithaca Commons on Saturday for the 20th Downtown Ithaca Chili Cook-Off.
This year, there were 42 restaurants, craft breweries, wineries and farmers offering tastes of their products and many variations of chili. Along with the food, there were games, a silent disco and a beard and mustache competition.
But let’s get to it. Who won?
Best Meat Chili
- 1st Place: Taverna Banfi – “Burning Hog Chili”
- 2nd Place: Cayuga Medical Center – “Medicine Man Beef Short Rib”
- 3rd Place: AGAVA – “Deep, Dank Dark Pork Chili”
Best Vegetarian or Vegan Chili
- 1st Place: Gorgers – Chipotle lime quinoa chili
- 2nd Place: GreenStar Natural Foods Market – Vegan smoky tempeh bacon chili
- 3rd Place: Moosewood Restaurant – Maple Bourbon Chili w/sour cream scallion and tofu bacon
Best Craft Beverage
- 1st Place: Grist Iron Brewing Company – MaXXimus Brown Ale
- 2nd Place: Wagner Valley Brewing Co. – Sled Dog Doppelbock
- 3rd Place: Ithaca Beer Co. – Flower Power India Pale Ale
Best “Other” Food Item
- Life’s So Sweet Chocolates – Lucifer Falls Chocolate Bark – (part of their Finger Lakes Bark series)
- Best Chili: Taverna Banfi
- Best Presentation: Luna Inspired Street Food
Featured image of Taverna Banfi taking first place. Provided by Downtown Ithaca Alliance.
Check back for an update.