Featured image: A German Shepherd puppy that did not cause the fire Monday plays with a piece of cardboard. Kelsey O’Connor/Ithaca Voice

ITHACA, N.Y. — A German Shepherd puppy’s shenanigans turned dangerous Monday evening when the puppy accidentally turned on a stove burner while trying to jump on a counter.

Around 4:50 p.m., firefighters were called to a smoke-filled home on the 300 block of East State Street. Upon investigation, they determined that the puppy was left home alone and a cutting board near the stove top ignited when the puppy turned the burner on.

No pets or people were injured during the incident.

The Ithaca Fire Department said in a news release, “Another close call was averted, but please take time to check your stove tops and clear any debris, and be sure to keep pets and children away from the stove! If you do have an emergency, call 911 and get everyone out!”

That includes keeping stove tops clear of any combustibles and ensuring that nothing is stored on the stove, firefighters said.

Jolene Almendarez

Jolene Almendarez is Managing Editor at The Ithaca Voice. She can be reached at jalmendarez@ithacavoice.com; you can learn more about her at the links in the top right of this box.