This is a news release from the Ithaca Fire Department. It was NOT written by The Ithaca Voice. To submit community announcements to The Voice, email tips@ithacavoice.com.

ITHACA, N.Y. — Ithaca Firefighters responded to 605 Five Mile Drive in the Town of Ithaca, around 2:45 pm Monday for a report of a barn fire.

When firefighters arrived on the scene minutes later, they found smoke and fire coming from a small barn used to store and dry lumber. The blaze appeared to have started from a homemade kiln and spread to the barn walls and ceilings.

Fire crews extinguished the fire and the entire structure was checked for any other extension. The barn was ventilated of the smoke and the air was monitored for carbon monoxide. The fire was under control in less than an hour.

Bangs Ambulance and the Ithaca Police Department as well as Ithaca Fire Police stood by at the scene while operations were underway. Five Mile Drive was shut down briefly during the fire. The Cayuga Heights Fire Department was called to stand by at Central Fire Station with other off duty Ithaca firefighters who came in to cover other calls.

No one was injured and the faulty kiln is believed to be the cause of the fire.

The Fire Department reminds everyone to “have a working smoke detector on every level of their home and if you do have a fire, get everyone out and close the doors. Do not go back in for anything!”