The following is a republished press release and NOT written by the Ithaca Voice … click here to submit community announcements directly to The Voice, or contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
ITHACA, N.Y. — Car crashes are a leading cause of death for children 1 to 13 years old. Many times deaths and injuries can be prevented by proper use of car seats, boosters, and seat belts.
Children of all ages are safest when properly restrained in the back seat. Yet, six out of
ten drivers believe it is safe for children to sit in the front seat with a passenger air bag…
It is not!
While most parents and caregivers believe their child safety seats are installed
correctly, seven out of ten children are improperly restrained!
What are the most common child safety seat installation mistakes?
- Not using the right child safety seats for a child’s size and age;
- Not placing the child safety seat in the correct direction;
- Incorrect installation of the child safety seat in relation to the vehicle’s air bags
- Incorrect installation and tightness of the child safety seat to the vehicle seat;
- Not securing or tightening the child safety seat’s harness and crotch straps;
- Improper use of locking clips for certain vehicle safety belts;
- Not making sure the vehicle’s seat belts fit properly across the child when using a
- Using a defective or broken child safety seat.
The Ithaca Fire Department is assisting parents with making sure child safety seats are
correctly installed in their car. There will be a Car Seat Safety Check Saturday Sept 23rd
from 9:00 am to 12:00 pm at the Ithaca Central Fire Station at 310 West Green Street.
If it has been a while since your car seat was installed, or if you would like to have a
certified Car Seat Technician install your child’s car seat or just check on the job you
have done, and are unable to make the event, contact the Ithaca Fire Dept. at (607) 272-
1234, to set up an appointment with one of our trained Car Seat Technicians.