The following is a republished press release from a community organization or member and NOT written by the Ithaca Voice … click here to submit community announcements directly to The Voice, or contact me at email@example.com
ITHACA, N.Y. — Curved is the newest play by Kristin Shepherd, author of $38,000 for a Friendly Face (produced by Homecoming Players in its 2015 season).
Through a stylistically intermittent use of stand-up comedy techniques and individual “mic work,” it lays bare the relationships among five strong and broken women, age 11 to 80. We watch all five of these appealingly dysfunctional women grapple with freedom, love, sexuality, dying, and what it means—and takes—to be alive. Eleven-year- old Wavy wants to bring her very ill Granny Wave home to live with her and her mother, Del, and their friend Chloe. But Del has decided to install her mother at the Des Peres nursing home. When Granny Wave’s former lover, Estelle, arrives, the story of Granny’s brave and unconventional life is revealed.
- “…a darkly comic and intelligent play about what it is to live a curved life.” –Alumnae Theatre, Toronto, Ontario
- “I want to see intelligent and gloriously flawed women of all ages on stage. Humans need to see a full range of human stories – now more than ever.” — Kristin Shepherd
- Wavy: Darcy Martin
- Wave: Camilla Schade
- Del: Robin Booth
- Chloe: Adara Alston
- Estelle: Kit Wainer
- Narrator: Eileen Hagerty
- Director: Ross Haarstad
- Stage Manager for Homecoming Players: Kristina Feldesman
- Stage Manager for Kitchen Theatre Company: Tasha Sinclair
Two Performances Only:
- Monday, June 12, and Monday, June 19, 7:30pm
- Kitchen Theatre Company at 417 West State Street
- All seats $18, general admission.
- Online: homecomingplayers.org/upnext-tickets
- Phone: 607-272- 0570
- At the door, 30 minutes before curtain
(This play is part of the Kitchen Theatre Company’s Kitchen Sink Series that has support from CFCU Federal Credit Union.)