TRUMANSBURG, N.Y. — Two finalists for the superintendent job at the Trumansburg Central School District have withdrawn their applications, officials said Monday.
David Hamilton and Rick Moore were selected from six candidates as the final two choices and were slated to speak at two public Q&As in the past week.
But Board of Education President Jane Gallagher said in an email Monday that Moore withdrew his name to accept a different job offer, and Hamilton withdrew his name, as well, though it’s unclear why.
Moore is the superintendent of Belleville Henderson Central School.
According to the Watertown Daily Times, a $10 million notice of claim was filed against the school district within the past year after a family says they and their son were the victims of, “harassment, discrimination, violation of rights, abuse of authority, slander, defamation and coercion.”
Related: Belleville Henderson family has taken first step toward a $10 million lawsuit against the school
According to the article, Jeffrey J. and Michelle L. Remington said a parent was repeatedly abusive toward basketball players while their son was on the school team. In a separate instance, they said district officials lied to a different school district’s officials in regard to an incident at a soccer game where a racial slur was shouted.
The article states, “The couple alleges that Mr. Moore told them that if they “made any further complaints regarding the issue…(they) would (never) ever come to Belleville Henderson and watch their boys play as he would ban them from the building.” Mr. Moore allegedly said “he had the full backing of the Board” on the matter.”
The other former candidate, Hamilton, is a program director at Keuka College.
He was previously the superintendent at Baldwinsville Central School District but “mysteriously” resigned from the post last April, more than a year before his contract was slated to end, reports say.
Syracuse.com reported that Baldwinsville school board President Victor Jenkins said, “After much thought and careful consideration, the board and superintendent have made the difficult decision to move forward separately.”
The district reportedly refused to release more information about the resignation.
In a brief statement released to the public, school officials said, “In light of recent events involving the search for a Superintendent of Schools, the Board of Education has determined to seek an Interim Superintendent of Schools for the 2017-18 school year. Thank you for your patience.”