ITHACA, N.Y. — Ithaca firefighters extinguished a chimney fire Saturday at La Tourelle.
The Ithaca Fire Department responded to a report of heavy smoke a little after 6 p.m. coming from the chimney of the hotel, located at 1150 Danby Road in Ithaca.
When firefighters arrived they found the hotel filling with smoke and embers blowing from the chimney. Firefighters searched the hotel for any remaining patrons while other firefighters worked to extinguish the fire and check for any extension, the Ithaca Fire Department said.
The fire was contained to the chimney and extinguished in about an hour. Crews remained on the scene to get all the smoke and carbon monoxide out of the building.
The hotel was able to be reoccupied by 7:30 p.m., the Ithaca Fire Department said.
Bangs Ambulance stood by on the scene, but no one was injured.
Cayuga Heights, Enfield and Newfield fire departments stood by along with off duty IFD personnel to cover any other emergency calls.
The IFD said it reminds everyone to have their chimneys serviced and cleaned annually by a trained professional.