LANSING, N.Y. — A man is in custody and facing a slew of charges after police say he fled from officers in a vehicle through three townships last week.
Clifton A. McBean, 25, is facing 23 charges in regard to the Aug. 9 incident, which ended after police were able to stop the vehicle using spike strips.
According to court records, Tompkins County Sheriff’s deputies attempted to pull over McBean for a traffic infraction just after 2 a.m. Instead of complying, he sped off, going more than 55 mph over the speed limit, at times topping 105 mph s he headed north on Route 13.
After McBean eventually stopped the vehicle he fled from police onto the lawn of an apartment complex and before being taken into custody by police.
Police said McBean confessed to being intoxicated and a bottle of open Apple Ciroc vodka was found on the floor of the front passenger side of the vehicle, spilling vodka onto the floor. He allegedly told police, “The only reason I sped off is because I was drunk and I did not want to get in no trouble. That’s the only reason I sped off.”
McBean, who was previously convicted of DWI within the past few years, had a suspended licence and was not supposed to drive vehicles without an ignition interlock device, which would have tested his blood alcohol content level.
He is charged with the following:
- First-degree aggravated unlawful operation
- Third-degree unlawful fleeing a police officer in a motor vehicle
- Second-degree obstructing governmental administration
- Felony driving while intoxicated
- First-degree aggravated unlicensed operation
- Failure to yield to the right of way to emerging vehicle (2 charges)
- Using rented, leased or loaned vehicle without interlocking device
- Following too closely
- Driver’s view obstructed
- Consumption of alcohol in a motor vehicle
- Unlicensed operation
- Unregistered motor vehicle
- Speeding over 55 mph in zone (2 charges)
- Moved form lane unsafely
- Failure to keep right
- Speed in zone
- Improper or unsafe turn without signal
- Misdemeanor reckless driving
- No stopping, standing, parking on highway
- Unattended vehicle
- Failure to stop at stop sign
McBean is currently still in custody at the Tompkins County Jail.