ITHACA, N.Y. — The case against a teen who threatened to shoot up Ithaca High School will remain in limbo for the next 6-months, per a court decision Friday morning.
[do_widget id= text-55 ]
Jacob Rollins-Young, 17, is charged with felony making a terroristic threat, the Ithaca Police Department said in a news release. On March 12, he allegedly threatened on Facebook to kill a student and shoot other students in the school’s cafeteria.
In Ithaca City Court, Judge Richard Wallace said that per a chamber conference before the court appearance, Rollins-Young would be placed on a felony control calendar for six months.
This essentially puts the case in ‘limbo’ during the time frame where one of three things could happen.
First, the case could be forwarded to a Grand Jury where it would be decided whether there is enough evidence to pursue the felony charge against Rollins-Young. If so, the case would be handled as a felony in county court.
As a second option, the case could be reduced to a misdemeanor charge if an application to do so is approved.
In the last scenario, Rollins-Young could have the option to make a plea deal with the district attorney’s office on the felony or a different charge if it’s agreed upon by both parties.
Wallace said in court that Rollins-Young has been in compliance with undisclosed terms previously set-forth by the judge.
There are not currently any further court dates involving Rollins-Young at Ithaca City Court.
The Ithaca City School District said in an email Thursday that they would continue withholding whether Rollins-Young is still a student or if he is allowed on campus, citing the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act. The Ithaca Voice intends to appeal the records request denial.
[do_widget id= text-61 ]