LANSING, N.Y. — Seven families who were ousted from their homes during a Sunday morning fire will be move into vacant units this week, a representative from the Meadows at Ithaca Apartments said.

[do_widget id= text-55 ]

The fire broke out at 12:46 a.m. at 100 Graham Road and multiple fire departments found heavy smoke and flames when they got to the scene, officials said. No injuries were reported.

Preliminary investigations showed that the fire likely started from an unattended frying pan in the first-floor kitchen of Apartment E.

Related: Fire rips through Lansing apartments

Photo submitted by Frank Adelstein

The Southern Tier Chapter of the American Red Cross provided clothing and food to the families and is providing shelter at a hotel for four people from two of the units, said Executive Director Colleen McCabe.

The rest of the people are staying with friends or family, said Monica Pritchard, District Manager of Conifer Realty, the company that owns the town homes.

She said she’s unsure exactly how many people were impacted by the fire, and said the realty company is in touch with the residents to place them into vacant units within the property this week.

Pritchard said it’s too soon to tell exactly how much property damage was done and if any of the apartments were a complete loss.

Photo submitted by Frank Adelstein

[do_widget id= text-61 ]

Jolene Almendarez

Jolene Almendarez is Managing Editor at The Ithaca Voice. She can be reached at jalmendarez@ithacavoice.com; you can learn more about her at the links in the top right of this box.