Photo provided by the Ithaca Fire Department

ITHACA, N.Y. — Ithaca fire fighters responded to a home in the town of Ithaca Wednesday morning after a fire broke out in the basement of the two and half story house.

[do_widget id= text-55 ]

The incident happened around 7:30 a.m. at 261 Coy Glen Road, according to a news release from Lt. Tom Basher.

Officials said no injuries were reported at the scene though several people had to be removed from the home because they were trying to save their pets. Firefighters were able to rescue the animals.

The home, officials said, was too smoke damaged to be occupied again.

Photo provided by the Ithaca Fire Department

Officials released the following statement about the incident:

Ithaca Firefighters responded to 261 Coy Glen Road in the Town of Ithaca, around 7:30 am Wednesday morning for a report of an electrical fire in the wall.

When firefighters arrived on the scene minutes later, they found smoke and fire in the basement of the two and a half story duplex home. The occupants were trying to get their pets out and firefighters had to remove them and then retrieve the animals.

The blaze was spreading from the basement and fire crews worked to extinguish that fire while others knocked down fire that had spread to the first floor. The entire home was checked for any other fire extension, ventilated of the smoke and the air was monitored for carbon monoxide.

The fire was under control in about an hour.

Bangs Ambulance and the Newfield Fire Department stood by at the scene while operations were underway.

Cayuga Heights and Lansing Fire Departments stood by at Central Fire Station with other off-duty Ithaca firefighters who came in to cover other calls.

No occupants were injured in the blaze, but there was heavy fire and smoke damage to one side of the home and it was not able to be reoccupied.

The Red Cross was working to find shelter for the occupants and the animals. Tompkins County Sheriff and the Ithaca Fire Department Fire Investigation Unit are looking into the events leading up to the blaze.

The Fire Department reminds everyone to “have a working smoke detector on every level of their home and if you do have a fire, get everyone out and close the doors. Do not go back in for anything!”

[do_widget id= text-61 ]

Jolene Almendarez

Jolene Almendarez is Managing Editor at The Ithaca Voice. She can be reached at jalmendarez@ithacavoice.com; you can learn more about her at the links in the top right of this box.