ITHACA, N.Y. — Ithaca firefighters responded to a Collegetown house fire just before 10 a.m. Monday, officials said in a news release.
[do_widget id= text-55 ]
Heavy smoke and fire were coming out of a three-story home at 126 Linden Ave. when a female caller reported the blaze and ensured all other residents were out of the house.
A quick-thinking neighbor, John Pollack, also rushed to the scene and used two fire extinguishers to subdue some of the flames
Firefighters were on the scene within about two minutes and were able to put the blaze out in less than an hour.
The following news release was released about the incident by the Ithaca Fire Department:
Just before 10:00 a.m. on Monday, Tompkins County 911 received a call for a fire at 126 Linden Ave, in the Collegetown section of the City of Ithaca. Heavy smoke and fire were coming from the basement laundry room of a three story building housing nine tenants.
The fire alarm had activated and the female caller notified the residents and everyone evacuated.
John Pollack, a next door neighbor, saw the smoke and ran over with two fire extinguishers. He discharged them onto the fire, closed the door and got out.
Engine 909 arrived on the scene within two minutes of the call, went in and completely extinguished the remaining fire. Crews from the downtown and South Hill stations searched the building to ensure everyone was out. The building was ventilated to remove the lingering smoke and the apartments were monitored for Carbon Monoxide.
No one was injured and the fire, which is believed to have started in an electric dryer, was under control and crews were back in service in less than an hour.
Fire Officials credit the working alarm system, the alert 911 caller and Mr. Pollack for using the extinguishers and closing the door, with keeping this fire from getting bigger.
Early notification and a quick response kept this serious event from turning tragic.
[do_widget id= text-61 ]