The following is a republished press release from a community organization or member and NOT written by the Ithaca Voice … to submit community announcements to The Voice, contact us at email@example.com.
[do_widget id= text-55 ]
Ithaca, NY – The world just agreed to a major climate deal in Paris – now it’s up to us to make it work!
Join Fossil Free Tompkins for a Rally for Climate Leadership and speak out to the County Legislature.
WHEN: Tuesday December 15th 5 pm Rally, 5:30 pm Legislature
WHERE: Dewitt Park (Cayuga & Buffalo St) and County Legislature Building at North-East corner of DeWitt Park.
WHAT TO SAY: Here are some ideas of what one might say – but most important is that you speak from your heart about why climate protection is important to you.
- Remind our legislators that we are in a state of emergency, and that we cannot proceed with business as usual. We must cut our greenhouse gas emissions NOW!
- Ask them to make climate protection their top priority. Every decision they make should be put through the filter of “will this action move us forward or backward in reaching our climate protection goals?”
- Tell them that the County’s greenhouse gas reduction goal of 80% by 2050 is not ambitious enough – ask for the goal to be 80% by 2030 and 100% by 2040.
- Ask them to set clear, specific, interim targets for meeting those goals.
- Remind them that because greenhouse gasses last for over 100 years in the atmosphere, aggressive early action matters the most.
- Ask them to provide more financial and staff support to the planning department so that they can do the essential work of planning for this energy transition, while also planning for the climate changes that are to come.
- Remind them that your children will have to live with the results of the decisions they make.
- And thank them for their thoughtful and responsive leadership during this critical time.
[do_widget id= text-61 ]