ITHACA, N.Y. — Two people helped stop a fire from getting out of control at an Ithaca College concert Friday night, officials said in a news release.

[do_widget id= text-55 ]

According to the Ithaca Fire Department, the incident happened just after 8 p.m. at Emerson Suites on the Ithaca College campus.

An audience member spotted the fire and told a stagehand who was able to put out the flames before they could spread.

IFD released the following information about the incident:

An observant concert goer and a quick thinking student kept a fire from becoming a tragedy Friday night at Ithaca College.

Just after 8:00 pm Friday, while watching a performance at Emerson Suites on the Ithaca College campus, an audience member noticed a fire back stage. They notified an IC student stage hand and the fire alarm was activated. The crowd evacuated, and the student grabbed an extinguisher and quickly knocked down the fire that was spreading up the wall.

Ithaca College Safety and the Ithaca Fire Department responded and ensured the fire was out and that no one was injured. The cause of the fire appears to be an electrical arc from an outlet to a metal zipper on a guitar case.

Fire Officials credit the audience member at the concert for noticing the smoke and fire and saying something and the student for quick action in extinguishing the small fire before it became too big. Early notification and quick responses kept these potentially serious events, from turning tragic.

[do_widget id= text-61 ]

Jolene Almendarez

Jolene Almendarez is Managing Editor at The Ithaca Voice. She can be reached at jalmendarez@ithacavoice.com; you can learn more about her at the links in the top right of this box.