ITHACA, N.Y. — A dryer fire was the cause of a Sunday morning blaze at a home in Ithaca, officials said.

[do_widget id= text-55 ]

The fire broke out around 9:30 a.m. after a working smoke detector led residents to find flames coming out of a second-floor laundry room at 310 Monroe St. on the North Side of the city.

The residents tried putting the flames out themselves but eventually closed the door to the room, went outside and called 911. Nobody was injured during the incident.

When firefighters arrived, they found thick black smoke throughout the home, were able to put out the flames and ensure nobody was left inside the home.

Officials said the damage was limited to the dryer and laundry room. Two adults, their son, and their dog were able to go back into the home after it was deemed safe.

Crews spent about an hour at the home.

The Ithaca Fire Department was assisted at the scene by the Ithaca Police Department and New York State Electric & Gas. The Cayuga Heights and Lansing fire departments, along with off-duty IFD firefighters, covered other calls during the incident.

Officials said the cause of the fire appeared to be a malfunction in the dryer. They recommended that residents clean dryer lint traps and dryer exhaust vents regularly to avoid fire hazards.

Photos provided by the Ithaca Fire Department.

[do_widget id= text-61 ]

Jolene Almendarez

Jolene Almendarez is Managing Editor at The Ithaca Voice. She can be reached at jalmendarez@ithacavoice.com; you can learn more about her at the links in the top right of this box.