The following recaps are republished from Big Red Sports and NOT written by the Ithaca Voice … to submit community announcements to The Voice, contact us at

The Cornell men’s hockey team played against Princeton on Friday, winning 4-3, and against Quinnipiac, losing 5-4 in overtime.

[do_widget id= text-55 ]

Last minute goal clinches victory over Princeton

ITHACA, N.Y. — Jeff Kubiak scored with 49 seconds left in the third period, and the Cornell men’s hockey team won its third straight game to start the season with a 4-3 victory over Princeton on Friday night at Lynah Rink.

Trevor Yates earned the lone assist on the winning goal, stopping an attempted Princeton breakout up the right side. He backhanded a pass to Kubiak as he approached the top of the left circle, then Kubiak snapped a shot between the legs of a Princeton defenseman and over the left shoulder of goalie Colton Phinney to send the crowd of 4,117 into a frenzy.

It was an appropriate ending to a game that featured countless scoring opportunities at both ends of the ice. While the first period was scoreless, the second period produced a whopping five goals. Cornell scored three times in a span of less than four minutes, bookended by Max Véronneau’s goals for Princeton to leave the home side with a 3-2 lead entering the third period.

All three second-period Cornell goals were scored by freshmen. Beau Starrett got the scoring started with his first collegiate goal, then Anthony Angello scored twice in a span of 2:15 to give the Big Red a 3-1 lead.

But Princeton stormed back with Véronneau’s second goal before a couple of big Cornell penalty kills kept the home side in front entering the third period. The Tigers eventually tied the game on Ben Foster’s rebound goal just 1:03 into the third before Kubiak’s late heroics.

Mitch Gillam made 21 saves to earn the victory, although Phinney made 17 of his 39 saves in the third period — including six on a single power-play opportunity when the game was still tied at 3.

Cornell Drops Game to Quinnipiac in Overtime

The Cornell men’s hockey team had a pair of three-goal leads against #4/5 Quinnipiac on Friday, but the Bobcats stormed back to score the final four goals in a 5-4 overtime victory over the Big Red at Lynah Rink.

Connor Clifton scored the winning goal 1:26 into the extra session, two seconds after Cornell (3-1, 1-1 ECAC Hockey) killed off its sixth shorthanded scenario of the night. His shot from the center point bounced off a defenseman to give Quinnipiac (8-0, 2-0) its second overtime victory at Lynah in as many years.

The Big Red got off to a hot start after the Bobcats were assessed a five-minute major for boarding. Reece Willcoxand Jake Weidner scored goals 44 seconds apart on the ensuing power plays, and Cornell’s lead ballooned to three goals after Matt Buckles added another goal on the man advantage just 10:56 into the game. The Big Red was 3-for-7 on the power play against a Bobcats penalty-killing unit which was a perfect 25-for-25 entering the game.

Mitch Vanderlaan closed the scoring for the Big Red midway through the second period, negating a late first-period goal from Quinnipiac’s Tim Clifton. But as soon as the Big Red restored its three-goal lead, Travis St. Denis and Andrew Taverner scored consecutive goals a couple of minutes later to close the visitors’ gap to 4-3.

The game was marred from start to finish by a bevy of penalties — 22 in all — and Quinnipiac tied the game on Taverner’s power-play goal with 1:27 left in the second period. While the teams played tighter to the vest in a scoreless third period, the Bobcats drew a boarding penalty in the final minute of the third period. That power play expired two seconds before Connor Clifton’s seeing-eye goal, though the returning player didn’t yet have an opportunity to join the play.

Anthony Angello had an assist to register at least one point in all of his first four collegiate games. Mitch Gillam made 28 saves in the loss, including several big stops in the first period to keep the Big Red in front.

Cornell returns to ECAC Hockey play next weekend with a home-and-home series against regional rival Colgate. The teams start off in Ithaca at 7 p.m. Friday, Nov. 13 with the second annual Courage Classic, which raises awareness for Camp Good Days. The Big Red and Raiders will then travel to Hamilton for a rematch at 7 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 14.

[do_widget id= text-55 ]

Michael Smith

Michael Smith reports on politics and local news for the Ithaca Voice. He can be reached via email at, by cell at (607) 229-0885, or via Google Voice at (518) 650-3639.