The following is a republished press release from the Ithaca Fire Department and NOT written by the Ithaca Voice … to submit community announcements to The Voice, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
[do_widget id= text-55 ]
ITHACA, N.Y. — An early morning bedroom fire brought Ithaca Fire Fighters to the North end of the city of Ithaca.
The call came in around 5:15 am and when firefighters arrived on scene at the 8oo block of North Aurora Street, they were advised that all the occupants were out of the house.
Crews made entry into the home and worked their way to a first floor bedroom where they encounter a burning mattress. The mattress was quickly extinguished and removed from the building.
The house was search for any other occupants as a precaution and to check for any fire extension. A ventilation fan was used to rid the house of smoke and firefighters checked for any presence of carbon monoxide.
A carelessly discarded cigarette was determined to be the cause of the fire.
Crews were back in service answering other calls in about 30 minutes. The Ithaca Fire Department was assisted at the scene by Bangs Ambulance and the Ithaca Police Department.