Correction: This story initially incorrectly stated where this house fire took place. It happened in the town of Ithaca. 

ITHACA, N.Y. — Firefighters have put out a house fire in Ithaca Friday morning.

[do_widget id= text-55 ]

The Ithaca Fire Department, Newfield Fire Department and Enfield Fire Department were called to the blaze around 9:57 a.m. Friday morning, a Tompkins County 911 dispatcher said.

The fire occurred on the 400 block of Bostwick Road after wires overheated and began filling the home with smoke, said Assistant Chief Dan Tier, of the Ithaca Fire Department.

He said smoke had filled the home and was coming out of upstairs windows when firefighters arrived.

“Using our thermal imaging, we were trying to figure out exactly where it was coming from,” he said, which took about 10 minutes.

He said the fire started in a wall between the house and a small attached room, where firefighters had to rip out the wall to put the flames out.

The damage appears mostly contained to the house’s interior.

At least one home owner was at the residence when the fire broke out and called 911.

Tier said the home had working smoke detectors.

Residents will be able to continue staying in the home.

[do_widget id= text-61 ]

Jolene Almendarez

Jolene Almendarez is Managing Editor at The Ithaca Voice. She can be reached at jalmendarez@ithacavoice.com; you can learn more about her at the links in the top right of this box.