ITHACA, N.Y. — Bail was reduced by half Tuesday afternoon for a man accused of shooting another man in the leg in Ithaca back in June.
James “Pip” Marshall, is now being held on $50,000 cash bail or $100,000 bond after being taken into custody by U.S. Marshals in Brooklyn last week. His bail was originally set at $100,000 cash or $200,000 bond.
Marshall pleaded not guilty to first-degree assault, third-degree criminal possession of a weapon, and two counts of second-degree criminal possession of a weapon.
His attorney, Jason Leifer, said in court that his client is not a flight risk and has close ties to the Ithaca area. He asked that Marshall be conditionally released while the investigation continues.
“He’s not the type of person to run from the court, in my opinion,” Leifer said, adding that his client did not know he was being sought as a suspect in the shooting.
Deputy District Attorney Andrew Bonavia argued against a reduction in bail, saying Marshall could face a minimum of 10 years in prison if convicted.
“If he has such a close connection to Ithaca, I don’t know what he was doing in New York City the past couple of months,” he said, also questioning how Marshall could not have known he was a suspect when it was reported by multiple media outlets several times.
Judge John Rowley said because of Marshall’s criminal history, he should have to post bail to be released from jail.
Marshall has previously been convicted of three felonies, a misdemeanor, had parole revoked twice and once failed to appear in court. His parole, Rowley said, ended three days before the alleged incident.
He did, however, decide to reduce bail after hearing more details about the status of the charges against Marshall.
“I think we should expedite this case and get it to trial,” Rowley said.