CORTLANDVILLE, N.Y. — Eight people were sent to the hospital after a Monday morning chemical spill at the Cortland County SPCA.
[fvplayer src=”https://vimeo.com/118744863″ loop=”fale” mobile=”https://vimeo.com/120846728″]
Learn How Ithaca Hummus Makes Its Magic
The spill happened around 8:37 a.m. when employees accidentally mixed bleach and lime sulphur dip, which is used to treat ringworm, said Mike Ryan, director of environmental health at the Cortland County Health Department.
He said eight people were decontaminated by Hazmat crews and taken to Cortland Regional Medical Center where they were treated and released.
The spill is contained to one building and not a threat to the surrounding community and environment, according to the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation.
Ryan said all animals were evacuated from the building and were decontaminated by Hazmat crews. No animals were reported injured.
Officials said the SPCA will have to discard all pet supplies and is in immediate need of dog and cat food, leashes, toys and other supplies for animals. Donations can be dropped off at the Cortlandville Fire Station 1 at 999 state Route 13.
— Alexa Green (@AlexaTWCNews) May 11, 2015
Cortland SPCA may lose ALL pet supplies including food, Cortlandville FD & McLean FD taking donations pic.twitter.com/7PXQOltNNq
— Kellie Cowan (@KellieCowan) May 11, 2015