Ithaca, N.Y. — Ithaca firefighters responded to a home on Stewart Avenue early Monday morning to find an apartment full of smoke and a person unconscious on a couch.
[fvplayer src=”https://vimeo.com/123147381″ loop=”fale” mobile=”https://vimeo.com/123147381″]
Tompkins Trust Company
Find Out More about Business Banking
Two firefighters then got the individual up and out of the house, according to a news release from the Ithaca Fire Department.
The rescue occurred just after 4 a.m. at 638 Stewart Avenue. While two of the firefighters worked to get the person out of the house, other emergency responders cleared the smoke in the home.
The building was ventilated — responders later determined that the cause of the alarm was burnt food. Bangs Ambulance checked the previously unconscious person for injuries once he was out of the home, but he denied treatment.
Other emergency calls
— Around 8 p.m. on Sunday, crews were called to Cleveland Avenue in Ithaca for a reported structure fire.
An electric stove had a malfunction and filled the house with smoke, a news release said.
“Firefighters checked the house for any fire, cleared out the smoke and secured the electric to the stove. The occupant was able to remain in the home,” the release said.
— Around 6 a.m. on Monday, firefighters responded to Cornell’s campus for a report of a fire on Cradit Farm Drive.
“A malfunctioning ice maker in the Appel Commons caught fire and filled the kitchen area with smoke,” a news release said.
“Cornell Environmental Health and Safety crews found the fire and knocked it down with an extinguisher. The building was evacuated and firefighters ventilated the building and checked for any more fire.”
— Final note … A news release from the fire department also relayed the following:
“Fire Officials credit working smoke detection and alarm systems with keeping these small events from getting bigger. It also serves as a reminder of the dangers of cooking and falling asleep. Early notification and quick responses kept these potentially serious events, from turning tragic,” it says.