Ithaca, N.Y. — Ithaca firefighters were kept busy Wednesday night with two calls for fires, according to a news release from Lt. Thomas Basher.
Become Chili Fest judge! Tweet or post on FB to enter
a Rafflecopter giveaway
A resident at 103 College Ave. in Ithaca’s Collegetown called police after smelling smoke coming from under the stairs. Firefighters arrived to find smoke and sparks coming from an electrical outlet.
The power to the building was shut off, and the burnt areas were cut away with chainsaws, and the potential blaze was extinguished.
“Fire officials credit the occupants at each incident for noticing the smoke and fire and quickly alerting fire crews,” the statement said.
Just before the Collegetown call, Ithaca firefighters were called around 10 p.m. to a report of a house filling with smoke on Turkey Hill road in Varna.
Varna firefighters were helped by Ithaca firefighters. IFD sent two engines to the scene, where they discovered a chimney problem that “was quickly taken care of,” Basher said.
No one was hurt.
“Early notification and quick responses kept these potentially serious events from turning tragic,” the statement said.