Stock photo of IFD/Ithaca Voice archives

Ithaca, N.Y. — The Ithaca Fire Department put out a blaze at a home on South Cayuga Street Friday night that was started by someone who tried using a blow torch to thaw the home’s pipes, according to a news release.

Learn how Ithaca Hummus makes its magic

[fvplayer src=”https://vimeo.com/118744863″ loop=”true” mobile=”https://vimeo.com/118744863″]

Nobody was injured in the fire, though the building was evacuated and the house filled with smoke.

“The Ithaca Fire Department reminds everyone not to use open flames to thaw pipes,” the news release said.

“Keep your home at 62 degrees or warmer to keep pipes from freezing. If they do freeze only use a hair dryer to slowly thaw them out.”

Stock photo of IFD/Ithaca Voice archives

Emergency personnel were called to 332 South Cayuga Street in Ithaca for a report of a fire in the wall at around 7:20 p.m. on Friday.

“Multiple apartments were searched for both occupants and fire. Although smoke filled the entire house, the fire was kept to the first floor wall,” the news release said.

Bangs Ambulance was called to the scene and firefighters from Lansing and Cayuga Heights were on standby as IFD worked the call, which lasted about an hour.


Follow The Ithaca Voice on Facebook | Twitter

Jeff Stein

Jeff Stein is the founder and former editor of the Ithaca Voice.