Danby, N.Y. — A video circulating on social media shows the inside of a home in Danby after a standoff with law enforcement that lasted over 60 hours.

David Cady, 36, was found dead 8 a.m. Friday morning after a self-inflicted gunshot, according to law enforcement.

Cady was wanted on a DWI arrest when he was approached by local law enforcement. Apparently fearing jail time, Cady began the standoff that the Tompkins County Sheriff’s Office said would bring dozens of emergency response agencies to the area.

The Hornbrook Road home was damaged in the barricade, effectively rendering Cady’s wife and two children homeless, according to a local pastor.

The aftermath of the incident was captured in a video posted on Facebook. As of 3:30 p.m. Tuesday, more than 16,000 people had watched the video. It is posted below.

Some IthacaVoice.com readers have questioned the handling of the standoff; many have defended law enforcement.

In response to a request for an interview about these criticisms, the sheriff’s office released a statement that included the following explanation:

As the stand-off progressed, law enforcement officers took shifts in order to keep the situation safe and secure for the community. The Tompkins County Sheriff’s Office contacted several agencies in surrounding counties and states to obtain additional manpower, equipment and expertise in the hope of bringing about a resolution and peaceful outcome. Assistance was also provided by the Tompkins County District Attorney’s Office at the scene.

Eventually, law enforcement knew and anticipated needing to enter the residence, in order to take the subject into custody. Based upon the information being developed through interviews and practices used by other agencies in the past, it became necessary to breech part of the outside area of the house to ensure the safety of all involved.

Sheriff Lansing reports that constant efforts were made throughout the ordeal to communicate with Cady through the use of a land-line, cell phone, and other law enforcement equipment. Cady was observed, on several occasions, moving throughout the house carrying a long gun. The last time he was observed was late Thursday. All attempts to communicate with Cady were unsuccessful.

Donations for Cady’s family can be sent to the Danby Federated Church at 1859 Danby Road in Ithaca, NY.

Follow The Ithaca Voice on Facebook | Twitter

Jeff Stein

Jeff Stein is the founder and former editor of the Ithaca Voice.