The house in the barricade. Reader submitted photo

Ithaca, N.Y. — A man who died in a barricade in Danby last week had weapons stored throughout the house for a standoff with law enforcement that lasted over 60 hours, the sheriff’s office said Tuesday.

Meet Andre: TCAT’s Youngest Spokesperson

[fvplayer src=”″ loop=”true” mobile=”″]

David Cady, 36, had several long guns at his disposal and had traveled to Pennsylvania to purchase ammunition for stand-off with police, according to the statement released today by law enforcement.

Cady was found dead in the Hornbrook Road home Friday morning. The barricade began over two days earlier. Cady fired a shot at a patrol car during the course of the incident.

Law enforcement arrived at Cady’s home to deliver a DWI arrest warrant. Cady told others that he had feared jail time and “was not willing to go back to jail,” according to the statement.

An autopsy later determined “that Cady’s cause of death was from a single, self-inflicted, gunshot wound,” the statement said.

The house in the barricade. Reader submitted photo

Some readers on Ithaca Voice’s Facebook page questioned how law enforcement handled the situation. (The home has been badly damaged and Cady’s family is now facing homelessness, according to a local pastor.)

In response, officials with the sheriff’s office referred to the statement that was released today.

The statement says:

As the stand-off progressed, law enforcement officers took shifts in order to keep the situation safe and secure for the community. The Tompkins County Sheriff’s Office contacted several agencies in surrounding counties and states to obtain additional manpower, equipment and expertise in the hope of bringing about a resolution and peaceful outcome. Assistance was also provided by the Tompkins County District Attorney’s Office at the scene.

Eventually, law enforcement knew and anticipated needing to enter the residence, in order to take the subject into custody. Based upon the information being developed through interviews and practices used by other agencies in the past, it became necessary to breech part of the outside area of the house to ensure the safety of all involved.

Sheriff Lansing reports that constant efforts were made throughout the ordeal to communicate with Cady through the use of a land-line, cell phone, and other law enforcement equipment. Cady was observed, on several occasions, moving throughout the house carrying a long gun. The last time he was observed was late Thursday. All attempts to communicate with Cady were unsuccessful.

To help Cady’s family, send donations to the Danby Federated Church at 1859 Danby Rd. Ithaca, NY 14850.

Follow The Ithaca Voice on Facebook | Twitter

Jeff Stein

Jeff Stein is the founder and former editor of the Ithaca Voice.