Veteran, N.Y. — A crash Sunday about 35 minutes southwest of Ithaca hospitalized several people, including a Cornell tennis player and his passengers, according to the Chemung County sheriff’s department.
Why I shop downtown — Naomi
[fvplayer src=”https://vimeo.com/112526950″ loop=”true” mobile=”https://vimeo.com/112526950″]
Four Cornell undergraduates in total were involved in the accident, according to President David Skorton.
“We are hopeful as they continue their recovery,” Skorton said in a statement. “We send well-wishes to them and to their family and friends.”
The two-car accident occurred at 4:30 p.m. accident on Route 13 in the town of Veteran, deputies said. Sheriff’s deputies announced the crash on Monday and provided a statement to The Voice on Tuesday.
Here’s what deputies say happened:
Cornell tennis player Quoc-Daniel Hung Ngyuen, 21, of Virginia, was driving north on Route 13 when he hit a deer. Nguyen’s car was then struck by another vehicle, which was being driven by 65-year-old Corning man Daryl B. Denning.
Nguyen’s car had several passengers in it. One was airlifted to Robert Packer Hospital “with life-threatening injuries,” police say.
Nguyen and his other passengers — the statement from police doesn’t say how many — were transported to area hospitals with critical injuries.
The names of the other passengers haven’t been released. WHCU Radio reports that four Cornell students in total were taken to the hospital.
Police also said Denning, of Corning, was also in critical condition in the hospital.
The Chemung County Sheriff’s Office Criminal Investigation Division is continuing an investigation into the collision.
President Skorton’s statement included the following information:
Gannett Health Services 607-255-5155
- Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) and Medical Care for all enrolled students
Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Saturday, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Late day assessment and consultation: Monday to Thursday, 5 to 7 p.m.
- 24/7 phone consultation with a medical or mental health care provider (for students or anyone with a concern about a student)
- www.gannett.cornell.edu: extensive online, campus, and community resources, including special information for parents
Empathy, Assistance, and Referral Service (EARS) 607-255-EARS (3277)
- Peer counseling for undergraduate and graduate students
- Phone or drop in the EARS counseling room at 213 Willard Straight Hall
Sunday through Thursday: 3 to 11 p.m.
Friday: 3 to 10 p.m.
Saturday: 6 to 11 p.m.
Faculty and Staff Assistance Program (FSAP) 607-255-6681
- Free and confidential guidance and support for faculty, staff, postdocs, visiting scholars, and retirees by phone or in person
- Hours: Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Cornell United Religious Work 607-255-4214
- Consultation with clergy and spiritual leaders
Crisis Line 607-272-1616
- Local 24/7 confidential (or anonymous) hotline service sponsored by Suicide Prevention and Crisis Service
The Advocacy Center 607-277-5000
- Ithaca’s hotline and community resource for sexual or relationship violence
Call 911 in an emergency requiring immediate assistance.
Visit caringcommunity.cornell.edu for a comprehensive list of resources and services for the Cornell community.