Ithaca, N.Y. — A fire in a laundry room filled Ithaca’s Best Western hotel with smoke and forced patrons out into the cold Thursday night, Lt. Thomas Basher of the Ithaca Fire Department said in a news release.

[fvplayer src=”https://vimeo.com/112409991″ loop=”true” mobile=”https://vimeo.com/112409991″]

One-hundred people were displaced to other area hotels.

Around 11:15 p.m., fire crews were called to the East Hill hotel at 1020 Ellis Hollow Road in the town of Ithaca. There they found smoke filling the hallways and fire coming a laundry room at the north end of the building.

Firefighters put out a hose to extinguish the blaze and checked all the rooms in the area.

“Crews backed off briefly when firefighters felt tingling through their boots and realized there was an electrical issue in the room,” Basher said in the news release.

“The fire had burned through the electrical meter supplying the washers and dryers, charging the area with electricity.”

NYSEG helped shut down the power main to the building and then firefighters put out the rest of the blaze.


Follow The Ithaca Voice on Facebook | Twitter

Jeff Stein

Jeff Stein is the founder and former editor of the Ithaca Voice.