The IFD's Hazmat Team at Kendal of Ithaca. (Courtesy of the Ithaca Fire Department)

Ithaca, N.Y. — A maintenance worker hospitalized after accidentally mixing two chemicals together at an Ithaca senior home this weekend has recovered.

Early Saturday morning, the worker was mixing two chemicals in a closed area adjacent to the pool of Kendal at Ithaca when he put chlorine in a container for muriatic acid.

The man was overcome by fumes and firefighters were called around 4 a.m. Hazmat crews then worked to secure the area.

On Monday, Kendal said in a statement that the worker was released the same day he was hospitalized and is expected back soon.

The IFD’s Hazmat Team at Kendal of Ithaca. (Courtesy of the Ithaca Fire Department)
The IFD’s Hazmat Team at Kendal of Ithaca. (Courtesy of the Ithaca Fire Department)

The senior home also thanked the firefighters for their efforts.

“Quick response by emergency personnel and Kendal’s on duty staff resulted in getting the situation cleared very quickly and no harm to anyone other than the maintenance worker, who is expected to be back at work later today,” Betsy Schermerhorn, of Kendal, said in an email.

“Kendal at Ithaca appreciates the quick response of the Cayuga Heights Fire Department, Bang’s Ambulance and the Tompkins County Hazardous Materials Team to the incident that occurred here on our campus on Saturday morning”

Jeff Stein

Jeff Stein is the founder and former editor of the Ithaca Voice.